Owain

Default Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply?

"Pandora" wrote
| I have moved to an old 5 bedroom house that I plan to renovate,
| including a complete rewire.
| This is also an opportunity to change the domestic supply from 100A
| single phase to three phase, if I wish.
| Aside from the danger of 415V in the house, would anyone care to
| comment on the risk/reward of a domestic three phase supply? (E.g.
| higher standing charge?). I do not intend to use any three phase
| equipment in the house.

About the only requirement for 3 phase (as others have subsequently
illustrated with their demand calculations) in a single family household is
if there is a high storage space heating and storage hot water load, as all
these would come on simulataneously during the off-peak time and there is no
diversity applicable.

In a house which is subdivided into bedsits etc, or used as B&B with lots of
electric instantaneous showers, or if you run a pottery kiln etc, then
things are different.

Owain