Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme jusme is offline

Default Shop wire for sale

Well, I am an e.e. so, I don't really need anyone to hold my hand about
this. I just thought that I would tell Bruce that the power company uses
just what I listed for their installations.

All I wanted to do is to offer others some wire at a very, good price, much
below retail, should they wish to run heavy service to their
shop/shed/building, house, tipi, cave, cavern, tunnel or whatever.

I could also get anal about it and ask the Supreme Court what they thought
about it, too. .

You see, I am not asking for advice although, I appreciate input; I am
merely offering some leftover wire for sale that I almost stole.

"jk" wrote in message
news
"jusme" wrote:

Bruce,

I have no idea what goes on in California but I would rather not think
about
it.

Stateist!

The power company knows exactly what I am doing (boxes and all) and they
suggest what I said before - to the letter.

So what? THey have no legal responsibility to provide you with good
advice.

I will go with what the power company suggests and my e.e. education.

YOu should find out what your local AHJ says. Even though you are
rural no where, you certainly have some one some where who has a legal
authority, and obligation, to inspect it. [And they probably want you
to have pulled a permit and paid a fee.]

I am simply offering some wire for sale.

Thanks

j/b

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:19:29 -0500, "jusme"
wrote:

Bruce,

It is exactly what the power company recommends. In fact, it is the
same
brand, type, spec., etc. that they use for 200 amp. service. I already
told them that I was running hundreds of feet and I wanted 200 amp.
service.

Right - but that's from the utility transformer to the house main
service. Once you go through the service panel you can't have a
reduced ampacity neutral anymore, and you need a separate safety
ground. You can have a second ground rod out at the shed but the
grounds have to be tied together, no separately derived grounds.

You can use 4/0 Triplex IF you are putting a new service with a new
meter at the shed - then you don't need to separate the ground and
neutral. Normally the power utility supplies the service entrance
wire in California since they are responsible for it. But if you want
to go with larger wire so you don't start off with voltage drop, you
are free to go larger - and should.

Depending on how many hundreds of feet to the transformer, you might
need to go to 500MCM or even 750MCM so you still have 240V at the shed
under full load.

To run a sub-feed out to a shed from the house service you would use
the same stuff but in Quadplex lay-up with three 4/0 and the 2/0
safety ground - the utility would use this for a 3-phase service.

And depending on the distance between house and shed you would need
to derate rather severely - past 200' I wouldn't go over 100A on 4/0.

-- Bruce --

jk