Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT - Upgrading Computers

According to Ignoramus2932 :
On 21 Sep 2007 02:55:03 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Ignoramus2932 :
On 21 Sep 2007 02:23:43 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
When did you jump ship? Note that the recent ones with OS-X as
the OS are in reality unix boxen, with a GUI from apple spread over the
top in place of the more standard unix X11 windowing system.

I thought that Apple GUI was based on X11?

Not as far as I can tell. X11 programs don't seem to want to
compile and run under it. Though there have been programs ported to the
Apple GUI -- including emacs.

Looks like you are right. Here's a good article about it:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/

So -- there is an implementation of it -- which integrates
nicely with the existing GUI for OS-X -- but most systems don't have
that installed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564