Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken123 Ken123 is offline

Default Denon AVR-3300 - intermittent audio out

Hi, Y'all...

I got a good deal on this off eBay. The seller indicated problems, but they
seemed to involve only digital sound inputs. I mainly planned to use it for
analog sound, so I figured that would be no problem.

It worked great for a few days until sound output to the speakers started
disappearing when I switched input sources, including tuner.

While troubleshooting, I discovered if I flexed the top of the Audio/DSP
card the sound would return, and the receiver would start working
normally...for a while. The speaker relays can be heard switching when it is
operating normally, but not when it isn't.

Then again a little later, no sound after switching sources. Again I flexed
the card and the sound returned. So, brilliantly, I figured keeping the card
flexed with a small cable tie would solve my problem! It did - for a few
days. Then the problem returned.

I removed the card and inspected it carefully, and could not spot any
obvious smoking gun. All solder joints, traces, connectors look normal. No
bulging caps.

With these meager clues, is there a Denon AVR expert out there who could
suggest what I should look for? Thanks.

Ken