Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_4_] Steve[_4_] is offline

Default Joist strength

tony sayer wrote:
BTW you can get some nice electronic pianos these days that play like
the real thing and don't need maintenance every six months, take up less
space and are cheap(er).

Tell my wife ;-) We did have a Yamaha electronic piano for several years
but even to my untrained ear it was not a touch on a proper piano. A
concert grand is in a different league yet again.

Steve

No comparison!..

Lucky you having one of them in your living room, and someone who knows
how to drive it)

She is an amazing woman. Carol originally trained as a concert pianist
in Edinburgh and that is where she fell in love with this actual piano
that was brand new then (c.1979). As a keen student and with a new piano
that needed to be 'broken-in', she was allowed to play it whenever it
was not in use. Apparently, she made a resolve that one day she would
own it. She gave up music, I'm not quite sure why, and learnt to fly
instead. Nowadays she is an airline pilot.

However, she never could never get this particular piano out of her mind
and a couple of years ago had the urge to find out what had become of
it. My suggestions that it would have been sold on by now were brushed
aside and she started making enquiries. Blimey! it was in Steinway's
showroom in London, refurbished and for sale! I won't say how much it
cost but it was a lot of money.

The next day, or it might have been the day after, we were on a train to
London and she bought it. We had nowhere to put it in a ground floor
flat! Her sister Elaine, also a concert pianist and piano teacher,
kindly agreed to give it a home near Glasgow, in her new extension.
Elaine has fallen in love with it too and now has plans to get one of
her own.

When I finish the floor in our new house it will be making the long
journey South to Crawley to be finally and fully reunited with Carol. A
dream that slowly is coming true!

Apart from the fantastic sound when I get the chance to hear it, I just
love to look inside it and marvel at the workmanship and incredible
engineering.

Steve