Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Joist strength

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...
dennis@home wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
. uk...

The finished floor will be thickened by a further 15mm as we have T&G
engineered oak floor to go on top of the Caberboard. This should help
with the point loading but will not help much with any bounce if there
is any.

Metal plates would be a good idea but would be difficult to implement
with the oak floor.

What will stop the piano marking the floor?
160kg on most castors is going to put grooves in a wooden floor IME.

Hopefully the cups will do that. It is presently sitting on a laminate
floor on those cups at my sister in law's , who is piano sitting for us
(350 miles away) and they report no damage to the floor.

It is unlikely that the piano would be moved from the spot. There just
isn't the room!

I wondered what the acoustics will be like and if it will hold tune if
the floor sags unevenly.
Is there a mechanism to level the piano or doesn't it matter?

Yes, this is also a worry... tuning is not cheap and any settlement could
put it off tune. Hence the need to stiffen the floor as much as possible.

I am not a music man but I would suggest that, for a steel framed piano of
that size, the lack of complete temperature control will detune the piano
more significantly than any settlement (which should happen straight away).
Thermal cycling found in a normal house with the central heating system
would ensure it was never in tune, I suspect! I believe, from what I have
been told, that such pianos are tuned prior to concerts and can be heard
drifting off (quite frequently) during the performance.

In other words, if the structure stands up, I shouldn't worry about detuning
due to physical movement!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)