Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Weisgram Jim Weisgram is offline

Default Lathe Choices

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:25:35 -0600, THumphr
wrote:

Hi everybody,
I'm getting ready to buy a starter lathe for myself. I was into
turning in highschool and I'm ready to get back into it.
I was just about to buy a Grizzly lathe and chuck when I received an
email from WoodCraft offering a oneday only 15% off on almost any
thing in the store!

So should I get the Rikon lathe and Pinnacle chuck from Woodcraft for
288.98 + tax or should I go for the Grizzly G0624 lathe and chuck for
$324.00 + tax.

-TH

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0624
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6266

http://woodcraftnews.com/t.aspx?S=1&...ode%3d07IN02RL
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20042
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5508

I've been looking at the offerings in the Midi/Mini range myself.
While I have a number of Grizzly tools that I am quite happy with
(table saw, jointer, drill press, dust collector) I have seen a lot of
negative feedback regarding their lathes, so I would not purchase one
of these without seeing one. Grizzly does offer a service where they
will provide contact info from customers in the area that have
purchased that model.

I have seen a couple of published reviews of the Rikon that it is a
Cadillac for a Chevrolet price. I suspect the Grizzly may be a
Chevrolet, or maybe not even that, at a Chevrolet price.