Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT - Upgrading Computers

According to Jim Wilkins :

[ ... ]

I spent 10 years on a MAC and wouldn't have another. They are *very*
good at doing whatever Apple 'knows' you should, but just about
useless for a tinkerer who builds add-in hardware and writes programs
for it. I built a microwave data acquisition system on a NuBus card
and had to operate it by making LabView send it machine-language
instructions. The Apple Certified Programmer quoted me 3 months to
write a driver for a device with only 2 registers (and then he was
laid off). The PC is much easier to play with.

When did you jump ship? Note that the recent ones with OS-X as
the OS are in reality unix boxen, with a GUI from apple spread over the
top in place of the more standard unix X11 windowing system.

But -- under that there is the unix command line, and there is a
good C compiler free (GNU's gcc) from Apple (they really *can't* charge
for it given the license under which it is made available by the FSF.)

Given that -- you have a lot better odds than with a Windows
box, for which you still have to find (and usually pay for) a compiler,
and then integrate it to the OS.

Note that I don't have a Mac box -- but I do have quite a few
other flavors of unix boxen.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564