Posted to alt.home.repair
Stacia Stacia is offline

Default Water standing near house

"Gini" writes:

We always had a standing water problem. We dug a trench with our Troybilt
tiller along the bottom of the hill all
along the back of our yard and ran it to our side yard which drains down
toward the road in front. We put gravel
down (the hardest part) then laid a plastic perf drain pipe on the gravel.
I believe we also laid down a drainage cloth that
keeps the perf pipe from filling with dirt. At the end of the trench/pipe,
we dug a larger hole and put a large plastic garbage
can in it after drilling drainage holes in the can bottom and about a foot
up the sides. We put gravel in and under the can
and covered the whole trench/can with topsoil and grass seed leaving a small
"indentation" in the center top of the trenched area.

That sounds like a really good idea, thanks. It's close to what we were
thinking about doing with gravel anyway, so maybe we'll try it, or a
modification of the idea.

Stacia