Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Looking for facts about fires caused by compact florescent bulbs

wrote:
I am looking for facts about fires caused by compact florescent bulbs.
The more I use them, the more dangerous they seem. It's bad enough
they never live up to their normal life expectency, but they also seem
dangerous as far as causing fires. A couple years ago I flipped on
the bathroom lights (two fixtures) with CF bulbs. I sat down on the
toilet when suddenly I heard a loud pop. One of the CF bulbs went
black and at that same moment smoke and sparks began blowing out of
the base of the CF. I got up and flipped off the switch before any
further damage occurred. Yesterday I went into my garage, where I
have 4 CF bulbs. When I flipped on the switch I heard a buzz that
sounded similar to an arc welder but not as loud. One of the lights
flickered and finally lit up. I was a bit puzzled and shut off the
lights and turned them on again. This time the same bulb made that
same sound and apparently died. It would no longer light up. When I
walked near that CF I could smell a burnt odor.

I have been lucky that I was able to be nearby when these occurred,
and it seems the problems happen when the lights are turned on.
However, I am finding these bulbs to be dangerous as far as a fire
risk. Because of this, I am going to be eliminating all of them and
going back to standard light bulbs. I'd rather spend a few dollars
extra per month on my electric bill than risk a fire.

Does anyone know of any facts about fires caused by CF bulbs?

I don't think there have been any.

There are 1.5 million Google hits on "fire+CFL," but most seem to be fans
ranting about some coach in the Canadian Football League.