Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field ian field is offline

Default Fancy name for electronic track cleaner.

"Oppie" wrote in message
.. .

"ian field" wrote in message
Does anyone know the fancy/technical name for a model railway track
cleaner that's based on flyback pulses from a blocking oscillator to
break down oxide and crud on the rails?

Googling "model railway+track cleaner" produced a few examples of
commercial units but none were referred to by the technical name, I need
some schematic examples to base a similar gadget to clean switch contacts
in a 12V system that occasionally get corroded.

TIA.

Will this help you?
http://freespace.virgin.net/c.gardner/semg/relco.htm

also http://www.merg.org.uk/resources/faq.htm
Track cleaner A device for cleaning track so that dirt or other
deposits do not impede the flow of electric current. A number of methods
exist to accomplish this. MERG Technical Bulletin A4/1 features the Relco
Track Cleaner which superimposes a high frequency, high voltage signal
over the traction current. This burns through track deposits when traction
is interrupted. Mechanical abrasive rubber-type products are also
available such as the Peco PL41 Rail Cleaner and the MERG kit 83, PCB and
Track Cleaner. These must be rubbed over the track to clean it. A variety
of solvents applied with a clean cloth are also suitable as are a number
of wagon-mounted abrasive blocks. A popular MERG method is to polish the
rail tops with the rough surface of common hardboard.
July 2006

That's one of the pages I found googling and it doesn't mention the
technical name for an electronic track cleaner - I'll have to phone the
local model shop and ask them.