Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting cast iron pipe w/o causing roof leak

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have to cut off a section of cast iron waste pipe in my attic to tie
in a vent .My concern is when I cut off the section of pipe, the
weight of the upper part of pipe would cause it to possible come
loose from the roof flashing and sink, thus causing a roof leak. The
last thing I want to do is open up a can of worms by doing this job. I
was wondering if I should be concerned or if anyone else has done a
job like this, what advice to offer. Thanks

I like Jim's idea, but I also think that even the slightest movement of the
pipe could affect the integrity of the seal around the flashing. You'd still
want to get up there with the appropriate caulk when the job's done.