Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Which air nailer is better - round head or clipped head?

wrote:
I realize that they use different nails but is one actually better
than the other? I hear that some codes require the round head nails
which makes me wonder about the clipped head models - or were they
made first?

For a suitable definition of "better", sure...

The clipped head were invented to get more nails per stick so wouldn't
need to reload as often. Good for production rates, not so much for
strength.

As Bob says, some Codes have changed (primarily FL and perhaps some
other Gulf Coast areas) to require full round head for better wind
resistance.

My personal feeling is the clipped head isn't much more than a finish
nail and has no business being used for other than sheathing or subfloor
kind of applications, but that's me... Nail gun nails tend to be
undersized anyway compared to hand nail sizes and when you compound that
w/ the reduced head area, they just aren't my choice.

Obviously, imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...