Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default 50V AC coming from RF connector

wrote in message
ups.com...
Basically is it normal for TVs to output 50V AC from core and sheild
to ground only when the TV is turned on?

Here is my long and drawn out story but I hope someone can help me.

Cable company shows up at house to try and figure out what is going on
with the cable in my area. When they guy was disconnecting the cable
from the main splitter in the house he said he felt a current over the
line and then proceded to test the line he said he was getting 65V AC
from the core and the sheild.

snip

Unless your TV has an earth connection (3-core mains lead) the chassis
ground is connected to the mains in filter, this effectively means that the
chassis is connected to a capacitive potential divider across the mains
input complete with high value parallel bleed resistors.