Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Science - and the Media

In article , "Wild_Bill" wrote:
I couldn't tell ya how many times I've seen the film of the Hindenberg
airship, and I've never once heard it described as an explosion.. it burned,
and the airfield and the town were still there after the fire was put out.
No mushroom cloud, no deafening boom.. you could hear the reporter
describing the devastating umm, fire.

Mighta had something to do with the hydrogen being inside a fabric skin, as
opposed to a steel tank, don'tcha suppose? By way of illustration, consider
that when gunpowder tightly wrapped in paper (i.e. a firecracker) is ignited,
it goes "bang!" -- but when a match is touched to even a much larger quantity
of gunpowder simply in a loose pile on the ground, it just goes "whoof".

--
Regards,