Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Joist strength

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:33:38 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Steve
scribeth thus
Time soon to put new floor down in lounge, but it is a bit more involved.

This floor has to support a substantial dead weight or two - A Steinway
Concert Grand Piano that weighs in at 480kg, or about half a tonne. The
weight is, according to Steinway, evenly distributed over the three legs
i.e. 160kg per leg.

The other dead load is a lighter but still heavy - Boston upright piano
that is probably half the weight or less and with weight on four feet,
although centred on a much smaller overall area. .

The remaining "live" load will be furniture etc. - normal things :-)

The existing joists are 4" by 2" and are at present supported by sleeper
walls at 5 foot centres, the spacing between joists is 10" with no noggins.

I plan to increase the number of joists by about two, depending on
arranging things to suit the Caberboards that I think will do the job.
Running double joists where the dead weight will be centred.

This will, obviously, make it harder for noggins if they are needed to
be fitted, but the close spacing between joists should make them
unnecessary I think?

Am I on the right track here? Any ideas or information would be most
welcome before I do it and find that our beloved piano has crashed
through the floor!

Thanks

Steve

Dunno about the stress .. but will it affect the sound;-?....

Depends if one uses gold plated, oxygen free cut nails! :-)

http://www.diybanter.com