Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default need advice: fair value of a CNC?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:15:20 -0700, joel
wrote:

So I'm contemplating dipping my toes into the CNC world for the first
time:

I found a late 80's Shizuoka STN mill with a Bandit2 controller. looks
to be very well kept, and clean, low hours, and I was able to see it
running. the current owner used it as a toll makers/prototyping mill for
several years at his work, and then bought it from his old company and
has had it in his garage doing light duty for the last 5-6 years. has
power drawbar, cooling built in (flood and mist), and was a conversion
done by a professional company ,not someone just adding it all on
without having done it before. about 20 cat40 holders are included, as
well as a computer with Bobcad17 already loaded and ready to go.

The guy wants me to come up with a fair offer on it (nice negotiating
ploy) and let him know. So... What's a reasonable value on something
like this? once I have a ballpark, I'll see if that's in the range of
what I can afford and then work on negotiating with him.

Thanks!
--Joel

$500-2500

Tooling gets it to the higher figure.