Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default OT - Upgrading Computers

On Sep 19, 4:09 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am interested in hearing how you decide when it is time to upgrade
your computer, what do you do with the old one, do you keep any of the
components...in other words how do you go about upgrading your
computer resources.

TMT

I put a USB 2.0 card in the older ones and upgrade with external
drives. A IDE hard disk can be made USB with a $20 adapter.

Haven't tried Vista, the company uses XP and I prefer Win2000 with the
compressed-folder patch at home.

I spent 10 years on a MAC and wouldn't have another. They are *very*
good at doing whatever Apple 'knows' you should, but just about
useless for a tinkerer who builds add-in hardware and writes programs
for it. I built a microwave data acquisition system on a NuBus card
and had to operate it by making LabView send it machine-language
instructions. The Apple Certified Programmer quoted me 3 months to
write a driver for a device with only 2 registers (and then he was
laid off). The PC is much easier to play with.

jw