Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default OT - Upgrading Computers

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking around I could go by the name of "Too Many Computers" with all
the computers I have.

As they age and needs change, I find that I am to the point where I
need to upgrade again.

I am interested in hearing how you decide when it is time to upgrade
your computer, what do you do with the old one, do you keep any of the
components...in other words how do you go about upgrading your
computer resources.

A comment about how you will deal with upgrading to Vista would be
appreciated too.

Thanks

TMT

I sell-off my four or five personal boxes in my lab 2-3 times a year so I
always have new. I've done OSs so often I can have a finished machine from
boxes of parts to functionally loaded in two hours. Don't
upgrade---replace! Sell or donate the old box and get the
"second-to-the-top-of-the-line" components or redi-built. I recommend
components usually but with Dell selling units at Wal-Mart, the whole market
has responded with cheap good stuff in all the box stores. It's a toss-up!
I buy components for specific reasons and applications.

I just built a Vista Ultimate box and I really like it! Sure, it's a lot of
computer with a AMD Athlon 64 FX-74, 4Gb RAM and a terabyte HD. Not
top-of-the-line but fast. It runs Vista just fine, and I like
Vista...didn't think I would, but it's a masterpiece and it hasn't burped
once yet. I wanted to see Directx 10 and it's cool! I wouldn't even think
of Vista on a box older than a year.