Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default PC board drilling

According to Ecnerwal :
In article ,
RoyJ wrote:

I have a robotic vehicle control box that I farmed out to the EE boys.
They designed it with some factory 'H' gate integrated circuits, the
hole spacing is a weird as it can be. (IIRC its .150" C to C, two rows)
So now it is getting kicked back to me to deal with a PC board. I'm
wondering about just milling the foil on one side of a PC, drill the
holes? the circuit is no big deal, big need is to mount the IC on a
standard PC board for reliability. Board size is around 3"x4" I have 2
Haas mills (VF-0 and TM-1), Solidworks, and Gibscam.

If you have the right toys, and it sounds like you do, that plan could
work. Be certain that the board design is such that it allows for
cutting (size of spaces and traces compatible with cutters you have).

Be warned that you *will* need (tiny) solid carbide end mills,
and that the swarf will be *very* abrasive to your machine's ways, so
better fix a shop vac to control the waste.

HSS *will* go dull so quickly you won't believe it with any form
of fiberglass epoxy printed circuit board material.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564