Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default OT - Upgrading Computers

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:00:15 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Looking around I could go by the name of "Too Many Computers" with all
the computers I have.

As they age and needs change, I find that I am to the point where I
need to upgrade again.

I am interested in hearing how you decide when it is time to upgrade
your computer, what do you do with the old one, do you keep any of the
components...in other words how do you go about upgrading your
computer resources.

A comment about how you will deal with upgrading to Vista would be
appreciated too.

Thanks

TMT

Having had computers since the time of DOS, I have been a Microsoft
customer for more than 20 years. I have suffered all the indignities of
Windows, and I still do on a daily basis on one of my computers.

Last March my wife's computer became just too unbearable to deal with
any longer. I would need to wipe the drive clean because Windows XP had
just become to "gunked up" to be working acceptably any longer.
Multiple program crashes a day, inconsistent booting, every time I would
wonder which program would be left out of the systems tray at a reboot,
inconsistent wireless connection to my router, etc. I needed to wipe
the drive clean and install the OS from scratch, as well as all the
applications and data from scratch. With Windows, this is usually a 2
week process, because I cannot afford to just take the time, and do it
all until the job is done. I also have to make a living.

I look after 25 XP computers in an insurance office, where they get
used heavily. I have only had to re-install windows XP a few times,
when it has become TOTALLY screwed up. Normally just a few good
"tune-up tools" get the computer back up to top speed again.

Reinstalling windows and all the applications is several days of work
(mornings only) so we do what we can to avoid it.

The Macs at the health services office where my wife works go down
much more often than the WinDoze PCs at the insurance office.

XP is about the most solid version of windows so far. 3.1 was the best
previous to the swith to the NT Kernal.

Having read to rather abysmal reports and reviews of Vista, I had
already decided, that I wasn't going to upgrade to that lame excuse of
an operating system.

No vista for me or my clients before at least SP2.

So I upgraded to a Mac, running OSX. What a great choice that has been.
I also invested in a great inexpensive application called Parallels
Desktop for the Mac, which allows me to run still needed Windows
applications natively, since the Mac now has an Intel processor. My
Windows applications run faster on her Mac than on my wife's last PC.
It was much cheaper to buy this program and still run some of the
Windows apps she depends on, than having to replace all those apps at
once. I can now do that one by one, over time.

TMT, if you do any multimedia at all, photos, video, music, and/or an
integration of the three, get yourself a Mac. There is absolutely
nothing better around to do anything with multimedia. iTunes, iPod and
iPhone all work much better on the Mac than on the PC. And boy is that
machine quiet. When I turn on my PC with it's half dozen fans in there,
it sound like it wants to take off any time.

BTW, one of the nice things of upgrading, or if necessary reinstalling,
the OS, you can do that without having to erase you HD. Everything
stays in place where it is supposed to be.

Next month when Apple will release their upgrade of OSX, Leopard, I will
buy another Mac, and finally throw out my last PC.

I finally understand all those Mac users who have been proselytizing all
these years. The Mac IS insanely good.