Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default PC board drilling

This is an academic environment where certain equipment is available,
time is cheap, no budget for outside spending. It was a push to get the
$200 for the board houses. Problem seems to be that none of the on-line
board house software packages like the odd spacing.

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
RoyJ wrote:

I have a robotic vehicle control box that I farmed out to the EE boys.
They designed it with some factory 'H' gate integrated circuits, the
hole spacing is a weird as it can be. (IIRC its .150" C to C, two rows)
So now it is getting kicked back to me to deal with a PC board. I'm
wondering about just milling the foil on one side of a PC, drill the
holes? the circuit is no big deal, big need is to mount the IC on a
standard PC board for reliability. Board size is around 3"x4" I have 2
Haas mills (VF-0 and TM-1), Solidworks, and Gibscam.

If you have the right toys, and it sounds like you do, that plan could
work. Be certain that the board design is such that it allows for
cutting (size of spaces and traces compatible with cutters you have).
However, if it's for work and involves charging for your time (to the
project, company, whatever) you might be better off sending it out - you
can get a better board (with soldermask and silkscreen) pretty cheap
from any of several board houses in small quantities. Does not take much
of your time to make that a paying proposition if you or your machines
cost much to run (.vs. cost of sitting around twiddling thumbs, or .vs.
doing "real work" better suited...)