Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default PC board drilling

RoyJ wrote:
I have a robotic vehicle control box that I farmed out to the EE boys.
They designed it with some factory 'H' gate integrated circuits, the
hole spacing is a weird as it can be. (IIRC its .150" C to C, two rows)
So now it is getting kicked back to me to deal with a PC board. I'm
wondering about just milling the foil on one side of a PC, drill the
holes? the circuit is no big deal, big need is to mount the IC on a
standard PC board for reliability. Board size is around 3"x4" I have 2
Haas mills (VF-0 and TM-1), Solidworks, and Gibscam.

That is a deep time and money hole that only looks like a puddle.

The best answer is to hand over the schematic and the parts to a real
PCB designer and have the board made. Much better quality and when they
toast the first board, you can hand them one of the spares muy pronto.

Second best answer is to lay out the board using a combo house like:
http://www.pad2pad.com/

Using your valuable machining skills to make a $30.00 PCB is a *very
distant* third in efficiency terms.

--Winston