Posted to alt.home.repair
Stacia Stacia is offline

Default Water standing near house

Hey all, I was hoping you guys had some advice. My husband and I are in
our first home and we've noticed that the grading in the front yard, well,
blows. The front yard is a bit of a hill which declines down to the
house, and water pools pools right next to the foundation in a 12-foot
long trench that keeps getting formed due to rain and erosion. The water
usually soaks into the dirt within 12 hours. No plants or grass will grow
there for obvious reasons.

We don't have a basement or a crawlspace, but I still am not comfortable
with water pooling there. We need the yard completely regraded but we
can't afford it for a year or so, so we're looking for some temporary
solution.

Last week we moved some dirt from a landscaping mound to where the water
pooled, but it didn't help. If we add more dirt it'll end up covering the
bottom of the siding and that seems like a bad idea, so more dirt is out
of the question.

Is it better to let the water sit in the liner or should we just let it
get absorbed into the ground? Any thoughts on what we could do until we
can get professionals to grade the lawn?

Stacia