Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Update on the Containerized shop

Brent wrote:

On Sep 10, 4:38 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
"Brent" wrote:
I've posted a few questions off and on about things like putting
Machine tools on a wood floor and on insulating a shop. I figured i
would post an interim update on how my shop upgrade is going.

I decided AGAINST erecting a structure and went the shipping container
route instead. I made that realization wen i figured out i would not
likely be staying at this house forever. If 9 of the 10 heaviest
items i own (Excluding my CAR) are already in the shipping container
it will make future moves EXTREMELY easy. So i'm now the Proud owner
of a 20 foot shipping container.

I started by getting a bed delivered of "granular A" gravel material,
And i wound up getting about 4 tons too much.

I got it and spread it and then tamped it down (14 tons of gravel with
a guy using a shovel took longer than i thought)

i bought a used container that was WAY older than i thought it was
(Close inspection revels it was built in 1971) but has no structural
rust to speak of so i'm essentially happy BUT i need to find out where
i can buy container hardware to redo one of the locking tabs

The container is delivered and resting on eight pads made up of a pair
of 4 inch solid concrete blocks. For the most part not all are
touching but if there is any settling the open ones will start taking
the load

I've ground and primed all the surface rust spots and i'm in the
process of respraying the exterior to white

Should i replace the numbers and identifiers? it said NICU 87214 as an
ID and i think that might be significant enough to return to the box
possibly?

Electrical will hopefully get resolved this week

I'm planning on running 100A of 240V 1Ph to it and i'm tryig to figure
out whether thats best done with four Camlock Connectors or with a pin
in sleeve connector and finding 4 conductor 4 gauge cable

Since i'm in canada i know i will need to run Heat and AC to it along
with lights

I figure i need 100A since as a single user the worst sustained use i
can hit is WELDER + Compressor + heat + lights. which t me works out
to in the ballpark of 80A at 240V

3 phase if and when required will be done via VFD for machine tools
liek the mill and i will install an RPC

my only OTHER concern was insulation and so far i think my best option
is to frame the inside with 2x2's and insulate with the pink styrofoam
stuff then drywall over that with the best fire resistant drywall i
can afford.

I've decided to delay adding windows and a human access door to the
side until next year for budget reasons. It means a little more rework
next year but getting the shop ready to go is more important. than
making it pretty and if i have to live with a closed box with all
electric lighting it wont kill me for the winter

Just figured i'd post on how it was doing and look for some feedback
on the insulation and electrical issue

Got any pictures?

Jon

Yes and no, I'm finishing setting up my website rather than cluttering
the dropbox

We're still waiting for pictures / link to your site...