Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Science - and the Media

In article , "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I think you're talking about hydride storage, which applies to storage for
any kind of hydrogen-fueled power plant. It's a possibility for
hydrogen-powered cars but the weight/volume problem is a big one. Of course,
it's less of a problem with fuel-cell electrics than hydrogen-fuelled IC
engines, because the former use a lot less hydrogen.

But most of the technology is something I haven't studied. Hydrogen seems to
present big storage and distribution problems, but some experts say they'll
be overcome. I'll have to wait and see.

I think the wave of the future is going to be in electric vehicles, using the
emerging "ultra-capacitor" technology. Capacitors have three advantages over
batteries for use in powering vehicles: they charge in seconds instead of
hours, they're able to deliver power more rapidly when needed (e.g.
accelerating from a dead stop, passing, or climbing hills), and the
ultra-capacitor shows promise of attaining a much higher energy density (power
to weight ratio) than is possible with any current battery technology.

--
Regards,