Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting a more efficient heat pump

On Sep 19, 11:15 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Bob wrote:
"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
.. .

I'm trying to estimate how long it would take to recoup my
investment
if I buy a more efficient heat pump.

The one we have is 11 years old and has a SEER of 10.05. It is a
4-ton unit for about 1975 square feet and the real estate agent
said
that it was oversized, so me might could use a smaller one.

snip
I'm not an a/c person, but as a home owner, just had recent
experience.
Our 11 year old A/C - heat pump went out and we had it replaced;
the outside unit, the air handler in the attic, and larger return
air vent pipe. (We had 16 inch and the A/C people recommended 18
inch). All in all the whole thing was $7,300. Our next month
electric bill was less by $80.00. There could be other factors
involved in that as well, but no doubt it was cheaper.

It would take a very long time to pay for the new unit with the
savings, so if that is why you are considering it, I doubt it would
be worthwhile.

One more thing, there are two types of Freon units. (I forget the
numbers). The old type is going to be discontinued in a couple
years and the price will sky rocket like the old style auto Freon.
I'd suggest that if you get a new unit that you get the new Freon
type.
Bob-tx

Hi,
Like old R22 vs R410a something like that? Carrier calls it Puron.
R22 equipment won't be made after 3 years from now and R22 production
will diminish slowly in next 30 years or so I heard. Our a/c runs on
Puron.- Hide quoted text -

If his total yearly estimated electric bill for his heat pump to heat
and cool his house is only around $1000, I think it's very unlikely
he's going to save enough in electricity to justify getting a new
higher efficiency unit.