Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Painting wood with green slime

wrote:
I replaced some wood on a camping trailer last year. I never got it
painted. It's been under a tree all year. Now this new wood has a
green slime or green (something) on it. [What is it?].

Do I need to sand this all off the wood, or can I just scrub it with
bleach, or can I paint right over it? I plan to use an oil based
paint.

It's most likely moss along w/ other "stuff" that tends to fall from
trees...

Yes, you'll need to remove it down to bare wood to have any hope of
paint staying on it for more than about 15 minutes.

Power washing and oxalic acid (wood bleach, one of the common deck
cleaners), then whatever other cleanup that leaves. Sand it some to get
a good surface for adhesion. Obviously, let it dry thoroughly before
painting.