Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Toilet won't flush without high water level

jbclem wrote:
I've been flushing my toilet with a bucket of water because the
reservoir is cracked. The funny thing is that it won't flush unless
I fill it at least 3/4's full with water...that is, most of the time.
Occasionally it will flush with a smaller amount of water, but
usually it takes allot before the flush movement begins. BTW, what
is the normal level of water required to initiate a flush? This is
not a low flow toilet, but it's a normal non-elongated type.

Does this sound like an obstacle in the trap, or...well, what else
could it be? I've used one of those specialized toilet augers, the
one with a 3 ft metal tube with a bend at the end (the auger cable
goes through the tube) but that didn't produce anything or help the
problem.

Look at a cross-section of a toilet. The water level has to rise
sufficiently - and in sufficient volume - for siphoning action to occur.
http://www.joneakes.com/cgi-bin/getd...ls.cgi?id=1167