Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Science - and the Media

In article . com, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

One of the things that gets me on the "hydrogen bandwagon" is the
claim that they need to get research money to develop cheaper fuel
cells. But if we DID have a good source of hydrogen, we don't need
fuel cell cars.

I disagree. A fuel cell liberates hydrogen on demand; the alternative to using
fuel cells in a hydrogen-powered vehicle is to carry a tankful of hydrogen --
thus turning every car on the road into a rolling bomb. *Any* breach of that
tank (in a collision, for example), combined with *any* source of ignition,
will result in a devastating explosion. (Does the name "Hindenberg" ring a
bell?)

Adapting an engine to run on hydrogen is not that
much harder than adapting it to run on NG or LP. It is very low
octane, but exhaust gas recirculation (steam) takes care of that
problem.

It's the safety aspect that worries me.

--
Regards,