Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Got any eyeglass experts here?

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Gerry" wrote: (clip) Looking for something with a focal length of maybe
22" so I can stand at a comfortable position. Does that mean a stronger
lense?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

snip---

They won't be safety glasses, though. For that you will need to give
some money to your optician.

I wear both ---reading glasses, with safety glasses on top----and it works
well enough for me. I'm a weird dude, so it surprises no one.

I keep a pair around for removing splinters, etc, that are about 3
diopters. Withg those I get a working distance of about 6-8" (guessing.)

I have a few pairs of 3.25 diopters. For close-up work, I'd love to have
some even higher, but I've yet to find them. I often wear an Opti-visor
along with a pair of 3.25 reading glasses.

Told you I was weird! :-)

I have another pair that are about 1.75 diopters that I wear under my
welding hood. It's really hard to line up tri-focals through a welding
hood. (Don't sneer. You'll be my age someday if you live long enough.)

Sigh!

Of all the things I've given up with advanced age, the loss of my vision is
one of the most troubling. I used to have 20/15 eyes and could see anything
of interest without aid. I attribute my struggle with welding to my loss
of vision-----and fully understand your plight. The only thing that
brings me comfort is it's better than being dead.

Harold