Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Lord Garth Lord Garth is offline

Default Weird Repetitive Crashing

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:29:17 -0500, "Lord Garth"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I'm getting a crash that almost always is instigated while surfing a
graphically busy page (using Firefox), though other programs have
(rarely) caused it to fail.

It manifests itself as frozen raggedy looking video, OR a full POR
like you pressed the reset button.

What do you think... bad power supply or bad memory?

Thanks!

Sounds like my laptop last year...The cooling fan was not blowing and
the thermal pads were ineffective due to age. I rewired the fan to
switched 5V and removed the thermal pad from both the CPU and the
GPU, replacing these with thermal grease.

Hmmmm! That's worth checking. I've had another PC with a fan that
ran "on occasion" ;-)

I used my finger nail to scratch off the greatest portion of the thermal
pads.
Then I mounted the brush on my Dremel to get the last bits. I blew the
debris
out then wiped the ICs with acetone before applying the thermal grease.

Good luck with your repair!