Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default Can you "roll up" formica?

On Sep 18, 6:33 pm, "Dan" wrote:
I need to buy a 4'x8' sheet of generic "Formica" from Home Depot. Trouble
is, I have no way to get it home, except my wife's Subaru Impreza wagon.
This material is somewhat flexible, and I'm wondering if I could roll it
cross wise into a tube of about 3' diameter by 4' long without it cracking.
This would fit into the hatch of the Subaru. Alternatively, maybe I could
bend it into a "U" shape lengthwise & get it in there without cracking.
Anyone know if this is possible? If I try this, does it matter which side
is on the outside of the curve? Seems like it should be the top surface.

TIA

Dan

As others have stated you can roll it up; one thing to watch out for
is how you secure it. At the supply house I worked at many years ago
we would roll it and cover the edge of the sheet with a folded piece
of cardboard before securing it with twine. Those that omitted the
cardboard ruined the sheet because the tension of the formica against
the twine would be enough for the twine to split the sheet at the
edge. We always rolled it finished side in to protect the surface
during transport.