Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Bridge Failures ...

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Andrew Erickson wrote:
Are the secondaries of UK power distribution transformers center-
tapped 440V windings, with different houses getting opposite phases,
or just a single 220V winding?

230V actually and quite often still 240V which is what is was in
the first place before Brussels decided it had to change for harmonisation
reasons..

The 230V supply is actually a single phase of a 415V ? 3 phase
supply. I believe that the houses in a street are connected to the phases
sequentially so the first property will be on 'red' phase, the next on

'blue',
then 'yellow' them back to red again and so on.

So every residence gets its _own_ pole pig? Where I live in southern
Cal, there are many houses on 1 phase and 10 houses share a pole pig.

No.

All urban residential circuits are fed by underground cables. The distribution
is, as I explained at 230/415V. Even the majority of telephone/cable TV etc
circuits are underground.

Rural areas here do sometimes have overhead lines and 'pole pigs'.

Graha