Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Equipment, and the Useless Eco- legislation ...

msg hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, I bought the obsolete parts inventory from several
repair shops and radio shops. The volume of the junk is far more
than justifiable. I've tried to sell the mess but nobody was interested.

Many Hams would be interested in the radio parts either locally or
on the 'net. Do you have weekly swap meets in your area?

Yes, we have swap nets, but I don't participate. Too tedious. Hams
are also notoriously cheap. I can sell complete radios, but not piles
of parts.

I brought a huge pile of parts (nicely sorted and labelled) to several
radio club meetings. Grab what you need, and leave a donation for the
club. The Motorola Radius vintage parts went fast, but none of the
older stuff. I had to haul almost the entire mess back home. There's
just no demand for Micor, Mitrek, Pageboy I and II, etc parts. I'll
probably throw together some kind of shopping site, or eBay store, and
unload the mess.

The problem is that todays hams are no better than todays consumers.
They just don't build or repair anything. Those that do, are in their
60's or older, and are not doing much. I've offered the pile to those
that still build and repair things, but they weren't interested.

Most are as lazy as I am. If I need a small part, it's often easier
to order it from a vendor, than to dig through the mess trying to find
it. I have my parts pile fairly well organized in a mixture of coin
bags, plastic bags, boxes, and drawers, but it's still a pain finding
some obscure part. The other nice thing about ordering new parts is
that I can be fairly sure they will actually work.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D