Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Yikes! (0/1)

John Larkin wrote:

I was playing with our new spectrum analyzer and decided to just hang
a 12" cliplead off the input to see what was floating around.

See pics. The biggest signal was about -26 dBm, an FM station I guess.
Just about every slot on the FM band is full.

Looks like a luxury analyzer. Aeroflex? I thought you could buy those
only with a GSA account or for government contract work.

There's also some stuff around 1.9 GHz, but not as big.

Could be DECT phones.

This spectrum analyzer does a good job of confining its own LCD
backlight noise, but my TDS2012, right nearby, sure doesn't!

Once I did EMC work for a client and their Agilent analyzer's flat panel
was self-polluting so badly I had to stop and buy some chimney spark
screen. Surprisingly they didn't have good old screen door stuff, only
the plastic variety. Should have taken a picture, with that screen the
analyzer looked like a Humvee going into battle.

IMHO the TDS series is a disgrace for Tektronix. That noise was the very
reason why I didn't buy one and chose the competition. But when they put
a measly 2.5K in there, what were they thinking? Now I've got 25K and
paid less 8-D

With a field like this, we could likely put a modest dipole on the
roof and get enough power to light an LED.

I've got one client next to an unmarked property with lots of huge
shortwave antennas on there. Oh man, that is tough to debug sensitive
analog gear in such an environment. Another is next to a busy airport, a
couple hundred yards from the runway. That noise session is planned for
some time in October and it'll be fun. The 9:45 just departed, quick,
lets do the scan ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com