Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,alt.building.construction
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Quietest inline fan for range hood exhaust

Any fan rated "Suitable for use over cooking equipment" (within 10' of a
range or cooktop) will NOT be able to be varied in fan speed. For one thing
the motors are usually rated "continuous air over" (meaning that a
continuous airflow of a specific minimum is needed to cool the motor), and
(as others have stated) that duct and fan would become coated with grease is
short time. This is an extreme fire hazard (whether you cook a lot with
grease or now. Just the products of cooking alone can become a problem in a
duct.)

Were you looking for home use or commercial?

For home use, the quietest fans are the ones located on the roof, inside the
exterior weather cover. And they are also the most expensive.

I'm planning to use an inline fan for a range hood - I'm going to have the
canopy made by a metal fabricator. I'm putting the fan in the attic.
I'm looking for something

- about 300 CFM max
- can be speed controlled about all the way to 0.
- doesn't make a hum or whatever when speed controlled.
- Absolutely as quiet as possible.