Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Tri Polymer sealant

on 9/16/2007 9:16 PM jmagerl said the following:
Everytime I watch This Old House, they are whipping out this magic tube of
gunk called Tri Polymer Sealant. I am redoing my roof and need to make use
of a good sealant. I've been to all the big box stores and nobody has
anything remotely sounding like it. What brand names do I look for? Where do
I buy it? How do I recognize it by the label?

It looks like Geocel makes a type but heaven help my local stores if they
should carry Geocel. I've seen Geocel Ultima, is it it? Not too clear from
the label.

What is a good sealant for roofing purposes?

The problem that I;m having is that the very top piece (the crown pieces?)
aren't lying flat with just two nails. I'm envisioning having to put some
adhesive under it and laying a brick on it to flatten it down. or will it
flatten down over time from the sun? Plus I have all the loose shingles
where I had to weave the new roof with the old that need sticking back down.

DAP makes a roof sealant in an caulk gun tube. I used it many years ago
after I installed a skylight in an existing asphalt shingle roof. I
don't know if it a polymer sealant, but it contains mineral spirits and
asphalt. I don't know which big box store I got it in, but the shingles
I had to lift are still stuck down.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY