Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen Bigelow Stephen Bigelow is offline

Default firewood question

In article . com,
wrote:
I have some pine that I would like to use as firewood. I have yet to
split and season these pieces yet. I am trying to find out if it is
really as safe as a hardwood to burn indoors in a fireplace. If not I

The secret to keeping your chimney clean is to build a good hot roaring
fire every morning (don't try this with a dirty chimney, though). Keep
it hot for 30 - 60 minutes, and then close it down. The roaring fire
will clean out the chimney for you.

Caveat: Start with a clean chimney in good working order.

Don't know if the logs work, but I do use the chimney cleaning powder
once a week. The good stuff says for damped fires, and costs about $8
per little container. The cheaper $4 stuff doesn't work (and it says it
is for fireplaces).

I still go up and clean my chimney every fall, and check on it a few
times during the winter...

The main thing to make sure your wood is well seasoned and *dry* wood.
My firewood has been seasoned at least two years, and generally in the
range of four to five years. (I have storage space for 22 cords).
I burn pine, fir, cedar, oak, maple, and any woodworking scraps.

Regards,
-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com