Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default firewood question

Gerald Ross wrote:
wrote:
I have some pine that I would like to use as firewood. I have yet
split and season these pieces yet. I am trying to find out if it
is
really as safe as a hardwood to burn indoors in a fireplace. If
not
I can burn outdoors in the bowl.

Growing up on a farm, pine is about all we used. Every few years we
had a chimney fire which is a poor man's stress test. It sounds like
small tornado in the chimney with fire shooting out the top. We had
tin roof and a sound chimney, otherwise it could have resulted in a
house fire.

Not something I would want to live through again. That's why God
made
hardwood and chimney sweeps.

Every day of every winter for about 30 years my Dad had a fire going
in his fireplace. He'd generally use pine to get it started and when
it was cold he'd throw in a lightwood knot just to take the chill off.
Every Fourth of July he'd hang a string of firecrackers down the
chimney and set them off by way of chimney cleaning. Never had a
chimney fire, or any other kind of problem with that fireplace.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)