Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default New Fridge not getting below 40 degrees F

My new whirlpool did the same. I took it back and got a new one. Works fine
now.
Something about quality now a days. to get one working, it took: 2
refridgerators, 2 stoves, 3 dishwashers
Buy somewhere with a no hassle guarentee. You'll need it.

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:04:51 -0700, gusdog
wrote:

I bought a brand new 10.3 Cubic foot Magic Chef Fridge at Home Depot
last Friday, I got it home and let it set for about 3 hours (it was
transported and loaded in the upright position). I leveled it side to
side and front to back and I set both the freezer and the fridge to a
bit below max as suggested in the manual and then I plugged it in.
The manual suggested to let run for about 2 hours until it cooled down
before putting food into it, and also leave about 5 inches from the
back to the wall. On one side the fridge is against the counter, the
back is 5 inches from the wall and the other side has nothing against
it. Well the freezer gets as cold as it should but the fridge would
not get below 40 degrees. I returned the unit and exchanged it for
another one and again transported it in the upright position and this
time waited 4 hours before plugging it in. This one fluxuated between
36 and 40 degrees set on the max setting. I am not turning the
setting control knob beyond the max setting either as I have read that
this can actually turn it off on some models. Is magic chef junk or
is it something I am doing wrong? I own a smaller magic chef tall
dorm fridge and that is set to 3 and does a great job keeping cool.
Any suggestions?

I think that is basically a Whirlpool. The cooling comes from the
freezer. Be sure the little door down on the side of the crisper is
open. The cool air comes in the top through those louvers on the left
side and circulates back into the freezer through the hole next to the
crisper. The fan in the freezer drives it.