Posted to alt.home.repair
gusdog gusdog is offline

Default New Fridge not getting below 40 degrees F

After 24 hours, I have put things in this fridge from the other one
and it is still hasn't changed anything and it has been three days
now.

I did call the manufacturer and am waiting for a return call, who
knows when that will be.

On Sep 18, 8:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"gusdog" wrote in message

ups.com...

I bought a brand new 10.3 Cubic foot Magic Chef Fridge at Home Depot
last Friday, I got it home and let it set for about 3 hours (it was
transported and loaded in the upright position). I leveled it side to
side and front to back and I set both the freezer and the fridge to a
bit below max as suggested in the manual and then I plugged it in.
The manual suggested to let run for about 2 hours until it cooled down
before putting food into it, and also leave about 5 inches from the
back to the wall. On one side the fridge is against the counter, the
back is 5 inches from the wall and the other side has nothing against
it. Well the freezer gets as cold as it should but the fridge would
not get below 40 degrees. I returned the unit and exchanged it for
another one and again transported it in the upright position and this
time waited 4 hours before plugging it in. This one fluxuated between
36 and 40 degrees set on the max setting. I am not turning the
setting control knob beyond the max setting either as I have read that
this can actually turn it off on some models. Is magic chef junk or
is it something I am doing wrong? I own a smaller magic chef tall
dorm fridge and that is set to 3 and does a great job keeping cool.
Any suggestions?

Two things:

1) Every refrigerator I've ever owned said the temp would not completely
stabilize for almost 24 hours. After my current one broke and was repaired
back in May, I pretty much confirmed this using a couple of high-low
recording thermometers.

2) When you called the manufacturer with this same question, what did they
tell you? You did call them, right?- Hide quoted text -