Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
robb robb is offline

Default how do pins on ICs typically die ?

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 13, 10:11 am, "robb" wrote:
[VFD driver]

My favorite datasheet of all, the Signetics WOM, has a graph showing
"number of pins remaining" vs "number of socket insertions".

It's not directly applicable here, of course, but I'd extrapolate:

If your VFD display is a module in a larger system, I would look at
power sequencing for the logic vs the drivers and display voltage. If
there's anything pluggable/unpluggable that's an obvious way to
sequence things wrong (for example, having ground become floating
before the signal lines is a bad thing!).

Tim.

thanks for help Tim,
its possible a previous epairer unpugged something as you state. The circuit
board had obvious solder work done, it wasn't pretty and that is coming from
a mere occasional amateur solderer.

thanks again ,
robb