Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default firewood question

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:12:22 -0700, wrote:

I have some pine that I would like to use as firewood. I have yet to
split and season these pieces yet. I am trying to find out if it is
really as safe as a hardwood to burn indoors in a fireplace. If not I
can burn outdoors in the bowl.

I've burned a LOT of pine over the years... burns easy and hot, but FAST...

I used to order a cord of oak every year and a 1/4 cord of pine... Used the pine
for kindling/starter logs and then added oak when the fire was going well..

I've been told that those "chimney cleaning" logs burn very hot and can CAUSE
chimney fires..

IMHO, there's NO substitute for having the chimney inspected and cleaned on a
regular basis..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing