Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combined FM/DAB aerial

In article ,
john lyon wrote:
You do not really need two aerials, one band works around 100MHz and one
200MHz, so both are harmonically related. A 1/4wave on 100 will be a
1/2wave on 200MHz. Unless you are going for 50-60miles away, local DAB
stations will be picked up on a standard dipole designed for 88-108MHz
with no problem.

This was originally my thoughts but with a 5 element FM aerial I'm
getting occasional DAB reception issues - even although in a high strength
area of South London with a direct view of both Crystal Palace and Croydon.

However, it's more complicated.

I have two aerial installations feeding different parts of the house -
mainly through history. The one on the highest part of the house with just
an FM aerial for radio works fine on DAB.

The one at the back, the one in question - which has easy access via the
roof terrace - doesn't. (The back of the house faces south so the main
building isn't in the line of sight to the transmitters)

Thinking I had simply some form of fault - although FM strengths were
excellent - I removed the FM aerial and checked it. I also replaced the
downlead, just to be sure. Tried vertical alignment instead of the
original horizontal. No - or little difference - to the DAB signal with
still the occasional 'boiling mud' issues. Of course tried the other DAB
tuner which works fine on the other aerial.

Bought a DAB aerial. DAB now fine, but FM noisy. ;-)

Thing is I don't really want a rats nest of aerials so close to the roof
terrace and fitting both current FM and DAB aerials would mean a longer
pole to clear the chimney pots on the stack while allowing reasonable
spacing. I'm wondering about cutting down the FM aerial to just the main
folded dipole as that could be fitted vertically and still look ok - but
was hoping for a neater all in one solution.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.