Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Power to a greenhouse

On 2007-09-18 08:52:10 +0100, jkn said:

damn, having to reply to my own posting. Nevertheless, I've just
realised I have a supplementary question:

How are you supposed to join the steel wire part of the SWA to eg.
earth if you are using one of these junction boxes?

Gland packs come with a tag, an extra nut and a serrated washer which
fits over the 20mm threaded part of the fitting inside the box.

An earth wire can be soldered to the tag or fitted using an extra
crimped tag, bolt, nut and serrated washer through the small hole in
the tag

TBH, considering
the admonitions elswhere about only connecting T+E using proper crimp
connectors, I'm a little surprised that these 'glorified chocolate
box' connectors are considered OK in the first place.

They are rather better than chocolate box connectors.

However, the point about using crimps is for cases where the connection
is not going to be accessible in the future - e.g. buried in a wall.

For wiring accessories, which are accessible, screw terminals are OK.

In the particular application of the little box, one could crimp the
connections