Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Electrical (gen-set) question

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:33:20 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus26157 quickly quoth:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:38:38 GMT, Bill Marrs wrote:
If a person had two small 110VAC generators. Ganged the commons and fed one
generator into each leg of a 220VAC single phase circuit, would it work?

no

I'm thinking 220v well pump, small transformer type welder, clothes
dryer etc.

If it would work, would the two gen-sets need to be the same size?

There is probably some simple reason why this is a really bad idea,
but I don't have enough electrical background to see it.

Consider carefully what will happen if one spins at 61 Hz, and another
at 59 Hz

It won't sound nearly as bad as those out-of-sync engines in the old
Flying Fortresses or Liberators going over the house back when they
were used for fighting fires. (I missed WWII.)

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life