Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Crochet Hooks

On Sep 17, 10:58 am, Casper wrote:
Hello!

Hoping some of you kind experts out there can lend me some advice.
I've started, once again after many years, to crochet. It's been
interesting just listening to my brain teach my hands how it goes.
I've bought a couple commercial hooks just to get started. I have seen
a custom turned ones out on eBay, but I'd like to turn my own. So my
question is, how do I size the hooks? Is there a chart that shows how
each needs to be turned? I'm guessing the hook end is basically the
same on each hook, just larger or smaller in proportion to the whole
hook diameter. Is that correct? Or am I getting myself hooked on the
wrong thing? Any advice and/or comments appreciated.

Thanks!
`Casper

Background...
I'm using a Jet Midi and I love making wands for the kids though I've
had a few after-thoughts that maybe a smaller lathe with a duplicator
may have been a better idea. I had hoped to make hiking sticks. At
least I hope to one day. Anyway, basically all my tools are mid or
mini in size although one general gouge is about halfway between a mid
and full size gouge. I figure these tools should lend themselves to
most of the projects I do or will do and should work for the hooks.

Hello Casper,

I did two articles on the subject in the February 2007 issue of More
Woodturning. The first article delt with duplicating a broken crochet
hook for a lady and the second article was the process of creating a
full set for my wife. In that article, I included shaft dimensions for
the different sizes. You do have to carve the hook with a knife or
other instrument after it has been turned. You can order a copy of the
issue from More Woodturning, PO Box 2168, Snohomish, Washington 98291
USA for $5.00. You can get a printed copy or an electronic copy (if
you have high speed e-mail connection). The electronic copy will get
to you quicker than the mailed copy.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm