Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Electrical (gen-set) question

"Bill Marrs" wrote:

OK---I've got the part about phase syncronization, and understand that as a
practical
source of 240VAC there are some real problems, but I'm still not getting the
part about
needing a step-up transformer.

240VAC Single Phase is 2 120v legs and a common. Either leg to ground is
120v,
and leg to leg is 240v. We aren't talking 3 phase here.

SO why wouldn't two synchronized generators be a source of 240v single
phase?

A: Because they still won't be synchronized, unless you parallel the
outputs.
and
B: If they were synchronized, you would get 120 from either hot to
neutral, and 0 V from Hot to Hot. You need to have them synchronized
AND 180 deg out to get 240 Hot to Hot, and that aint going to happen
(easily)

jk