Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs Bill Marrs is offline

Default Electrical (gen-set) question

"Pete C." wrote in message

If you look at the schematics, the parallel cable connections directly
connect to the inverter output. The reason for the special cable set is
simply safety - the shrouded banana plugs prevent you from potentially
contacting the live output connections if you plug / unplug them.

A "suicide" cable with two regular 5-15 plugs will work properly, but
presents the safety hazard potential to have a live male plug. Many
people operate them this way to save a buck over buying the parallel
cable kit. Many smarter people order shrouded banana plugs and make
their own safety parallel cable set to save a buck.

Of course you still have the issue of 240V, since these are 120V
generators. You'd need a step-up transformer if you really needed 240V.

OK---I've got the part about phase syncronization, and understand that as a
practical
source of 240VAC there are some real problems, but I'm still not getting the
part about
needing a step-up transformer.

240VAC Single Phase is 2 120v legs and a common. Either leg to ground is
120v,
and leg to leg is 240v. We aren't talking 3 phase here.

SO why wouldn't two synchronized generators be a source of 240v single
phase?

Bill